Translate

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Pet Peeves


 
I’m not a stickler for many things, but when it comes to little things, I get so annoyed. Oh my goodness and you know it’s really bad when I find it necessary to have a list of pet peeves. And I’m by no means the grammar police because I make mistakes too…but these are some of the things that really bothers me…I may be alone on this, but perhaps not. 

There, their and they’re. 
Sometimes, I know it’s an autocorrect issue but seriously, I think that all adults should know the difference between these three little words.
  • Use there when referring to a place. A location. Over there. I am going there. Hint: there has here, and here is a place so there must refer to a place. Easy to remember, right? Right.
  • Their, when referring to a person or possession. Their house. I’m going over there to their house. Their has heir in it. Heir is a person, so their refers to the person.
  • They’re is the contraction of they are. They’re my friends from University.

Converse. 
It’s converse, people. NOT c o n v e r s a t e…the auto correct won’t let me write it. Lol. So, when you speak to someone, you converse with them, you know, like the sneakers. You have a conversation not  c o n v e r s a t e. 

Buy, bought, bring and brought. 

Buy. Bought. You buy a dress from the store. Yesterday you bought a dress.

Bring. Brought. Bring me some food. I brought you some food.
So, an easy way to remember that is the br in bring and the br in brought…see, easy to remember, right?

Regardless. NOT irregardless…although irregardless is widely used and can be found in the dictionary, it is considered informal or colloquial. So regardless means without regard, ir means not, so by using ir-regard-less you’ve added a double negative to the term, negating the meaning. 

Using you and I when you should say you and me. 
This is a hard one, but the rule is, if you can separate the sentence into two sentences and it makes sense with I, then use I, if it makes sense with me, then you use me…that is how you know which pronoun to use. For example, is the sentence: he gave the cake to you and I or he gave the cake to you and me, which is correct? He gave the cake to I or He gave the cake to me? Which one is correct? Me. Yep. That’s the one you use. So the sentence is, he gave the cake to you and me.

Not re-reading a message, before you send it, is a sin.  I’m guilty of this, especially when I’m in a rush, but for the most part, I always try to review an email, a Facebook post or a text before I hit send. Autocorrect can be a pain and change words into those you don’t intend to use, but taking that second look and time to review the message is a good idea…especially if it’s a work related message.

Oh, I almost forgot. You, your and you’re. A lot of times, this is an autocorrect issue but please… stop using your when you mean you’re. Ok. You’re is you are, so sending the message, I hope your ok, should read, I hope you’re ok. Or just simply spell it all out…I hope you are ok.


One more thing…not everything is a hashtag. # Geeze!!! Back in my day, that was the pound sign or the number sign. Lol.

That's it for now...I could go on, but I have too many pet peeves to list.

#PetPeeves


No comments:

Post a Comment